The sapphire is one of the most popular gemstones in the world, and has been so for thousands of years. Here are some fun facts about sapphires:
- Ancient Romans polished sapphires to be worn as jewelry.
- Blue sapphires are the most well known but they come in EVERY color of the rainbow.
- Red sapphires are better known as Rubies!
- The difference in sapphire colors are due to trace elements in the mineral corundum.
- The rarest sapphire? The padparadscha. It is a peachy color whose name is Sanskrit for Lotus Flower.
- Sapphires are found in Australia, Malawi, Madagascar, Sri Lanka, and the United States among other countries.
- On the Mohs Scale of Hardness, sapphires score a 9 out of 10. The only thing that scratch a sapphire is a diamond.
- Because they are so hardy, sapphires are used in the technological field.
- The word sapphire comes from the Latin sapphiru, which means blue.
- Medieval kings wore sapphires often because they believed sapphires protected them from their enemies.
- In ancient times, people believed that wearing sapphires protected them from evil.
- During the middle ages, people believed that wearing sapphires cured eye diseases and helped girls preserve their chastity.
- Sapphires have been worn by royalty (and symbolized royalty) for thousands of years.
- The most famous sapphire in recent times, is the sapphire engagement ring worn by Princess Diana, and now worn by her daughter-in-law, Kate (the Duchess of Cambridge). We have a ring that looks JUST like this one on our website.
- Before the 20th century, sapphires were THE gemstone for engagement rings!
- Sapphire is the birthstone for September.
- The sapphire is the traditional gift for celebrating 5th, 23rd and 45th anniversaries.
- A star sapphire is the traditional gift for 65th anniversaries.
- The Millennium Sapphire is the largest cut and polished sapphire. It weighs 61,500 carats!!!
Early medieval doctors & priests believed that sapphires could reduce outbreaks of rage, dispel malicious behavior, and repel envy. They were considered helpful for treating colic, mental illness, hysteria, and depression.
They believed that the location where sapphires are worn also bestows particular health benefits:
- Index (first) finger:
- Eases ailments of the stomach and respiratory system.
- Second (middle) finger:
- Strengthens the mind, liver, and spleen.
- Third finger:
Aids the kidneys and circulatory system. It is also the best place to wear
a ring if you wish for happiness and joy.
- Little finger:
- Bolsters the reproductive system, knees, legs, and feet.
We have a great selection of lab-created sapphires on our online store. Try one out today!